Digital First Media Announces New Editorial Structure in Support of Project Thunderdome
James McClure Named Company’s East Editor
New York, NY (August 9, 2012) – Digital First Media, which operates MediaNews Group and Journal Register Company, today announced a new editorial management structure to improve newsgathering efforts, communication and collaboration across the Company’s newsrooms.
James McClure of the York Daily Record/Sunday News has been appointed East Editor, and will manage editorial content for Digital First Media’s properties in Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Vermont.
Additionally, to facilitate better communication among Digital First’s properties, the Company is also announcing the appointment of supervising editors who will deliver key support and work to improve newsroom communication, provide coverage coordination on regional stories and improve collaboration between newsrooms.
- Digital First Media has appointed Matt DeRienzo, who currently oversees its Connecticut properties, to supervise all DFM properties in Connecticut, New York, Massachusetts and Vermont. Nancy March, Editor of The Mercury in Pottstown, Pa., will supervise our Pennsylvania and New Jersey properties. Both Mr. DeRienzo and Ms. March will report to Mr. McClure.
- Digital First Media has appointed Nancy Conway, Editor of the Salt Lake Tribune, to supervise its Colorado and Utah properties. Glenn Gilbert, Editor of the Oakland Press, will supervise properties in Ohio, Michigan and Minnesota. Bob Moore, Editor of the El Paso Times, will continue to oversee our properties in Texas and New Mexico. Ms. Conway, Mr. Gilbert and Mr. Moore will report to Greg Moore, Digital First Media’s Central Editor and Editor of the Denver Post.
- Digital First Media has appointed David Little of the Chico Enterprise-Record to supervise its Northern California community newspaper properties, and Michael Anastasi will assume his recently announced role overseeing the Company’s Los Angeles News Group properties. Both Mr. Little and Mr. Anastasi will report to Dave Butler, Digital First Media’s West Editor and Editor of the San Jose Mercury News.
“One of the challenges in managing such a large physical footprint in a time of transformation is making sure our newsrooms are getting the best and most recent information possible,” said Jim Brady, Editor-in-Chief of Digital First Media. “We haven’t done as well at that as we should, and elevating these excellent editors into broader regional roles will unquestionably improve communication across the company.”
McClure and the supervising editors will all continue to serve in their current positions.
“This is an important step for us as we move forward with full web and print redesigns, the rollout of Project Thunderdome and as we head into election season,” said Brady. “Our newsrooms deserve the best system of communication we can provide, and these appointments will allow that to happen.”
The newly appointed editors bring hundreds of years of journalism experience into their new challenges:
- James McClure has been editor of the York (Pa.) Daily Record/York Sunday News and its growing lineup of digital products since May 2004. Before that he was the managing editor of the York Daily Record for 15 years. He previously served as a reporter, editor and publisher at newspaper in Pennsylvania and California. McClure is the author of six books on York County history.
- Matt DeRienzo is group editor of Journal Register Company’s newspapers in Connecticut, which include the New Haven Register, Middletown Press, Register Citizen and Connecticut Magazine. As publisher of The Register Citizen in December 2010, he launched the country’s first “open newsroom,” inviting the public in to interact with reporters and editors in a “newsroom café.”
- Nancy March has been editor of The Mercury since 1998 and previously worked as Managing Editor at the Daily Local News in West Chester and Editor at Progressive Business Publications in Malvern, Pa. A graduate of Penn State with a degree in journalism, she has been a leader in Journal Register Company in facilitating communication among sites in Pennsylvania.
- Nancy Conway has been Editor of the Salt Lake Tribune since 2003. During that time the Tribune became one of the first newsrooms to adopt an integrated digital/print structure. Under her leadership the Tribune has received several national and regional awards, notably for work on behalf of First Amendment rights and open government in Utah. Before Salt Lake Ms. Conway was the Executive Editor of the Alameda Newspaper Group, a group on of five California newspapers anchored by the Oakland Tribune. She grew up in Foxboro, Mass. and has a BA in English.
- Glenn Gilbert has been in journalism for nearly 40 years and has been the Executive Editor of The Oakland Press in Pontiac, Mich., since July 2006. He worked at The News-Herald in Mentor, Ohio, rising to Assistant Managing Editor in 1992 before taking over as executive editor in 1999. Later, he became Editor of the Macomb Daily in Michigan before moving to Pontiac. He is an undergraduate of the University of Michigan and has a master’s degree from Eastern Michigan University.
- Bob Moore is the Editor of the El Paso Times in El Paso, Tex, and Vice President of News for the Texas-New Mexico Newspapers Partnership. This is a return engagement for Mr. Moore, who spent more than 20 years in Texas journalism, rising through the ranks of the Times where he served as Executive Editor from 2002 to 2005. He served as Executive Editor of the Fort Collins Coloradoan from 2005 until he returned to Texas in 2011.
- David Little has been Editor of the Chico Enterprise-Record since 1999 and added duties as the Editor of the Oroville Mercury-Register in 2008. He has worked for daily newspapers up and down California for 33 years, including publications in Oceanside, San Clemente, Redding and Eureka. Little, a Chico native, worked at the Enterprise-Record previously, while earning an English degree at Chico State University from 1981-85.
- Michael Anastasi was recently appointed Vice President and Executive Editor of the Los Angeles News Group. Prior to that appointment, Mr. Anastasi had been a Managing Editor of The Salt Lake Tribune since 2004. Before Salt Lake City, Mr. Anastasi had worked entirely in California, including 11 years in Los Angeles as a Sports Editor for LANG and the Los Angeles Daily News.
About Digital First Media
Digital First Media (www.DigitalFirstMedia.com) is headquartered in New York City and jointly manages MediaNews Group and Journal Register Company. Digital First Media reaches 57 million Americans each month through more than 800 multi-platform products across 18 states.
About MediaNews Group, Inc.
MediaNews Group, Inc. (www.medianewsgroup.com) is the nation’s second largest newspaper company as measured by circulation, with headquarters in Denver, Colorado. MediaNews Group and its affiliated companies publish 57 daily newspapers and more than 100 non-daily publications in 11 states.
About Journal Register Company
Journal Register Company is a leader in local news and information in 10 states. The Company’s more than 350 multi-platform products reach an audience of 21 million people each month. For more information visit the Company website at www.JournalRegister.com.
For more information contact:
Vice President Media Relations & Employee Communications
Digital First Media